giovedì 29 giugno 2017

Nice bits about living in urban America: low god density

Sometimes I forget what I look like and I do something out of character, such as sing shepherd tunes in Aramaic while I'm waiting in linea at Starbucks, but the nice bit about living in urban America is that people tend to either ignore eccentrics or move to the suburbs to escape them.
That never would have happened in the old days. People who were different back then got burned at the stake or stoned to death. There is still a downside to being different today, of course, which is why I put so much effort into blending in, but the downside is usually just harassment and discrimination, and that is a vast improvement over dying for the common man's entertainment.
Living in the modern world contains quite a few vast improvements like that. Most old souls I know think the attraction of modernity rests on clever ideas like indoor plumbing and sunglasses. But for me, the true attraction of America is that it's pratically godless. When I was younger and dodging the Romans, I could hardly walk a mile in Europe without stepping on a stone sacred to some god or other. But out here in Arizona, all I have  to worry about is the occasional encounter with Coyote, and I actually rather like him. (He's nothing like Thor, for one thing, and that right there means were're going to get along fine. The local  college kids would describe Thor as a "major asshat" if they ever had the misfortune to meet him).
Even better than the low god density in Arizona is the near total absence of faeries.

Kevin Hearne, Hounded

Alla faccia tua, Thor!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...